Sunday, December 04, 2005

Weekend "off" from knitting

For some reason I found myself wanting to make lip balm. My friend who owns brambleberry.com , a lovely soapmaking supply company, has told me that lip balm is about the easiest thing to make (and incidentally, has a huge price markup.)

So with a little inspiration and a recipe from notmartha.org, I went down to Brambleberry's retail shop, Otion. I ended up making a few colors of lip balm and lotion bars for stocking stuffers.

So if you have a half hour or so and want to whip up some fun gifts, lip balm fills the bill. You can make girly colored and/or flavored balms. Or you can stick to a basic recipe that even men will love. Hey! guys get chapped lips too.

The lotion bars have slightly different proportions of the same basic ingredients as the balm. And are made by pouring the melted lotion balm into molds. I also picked up some pretty little organza bags at Otion and card stickers at JoAnn's for a nice gift presentation.

Besides knitting, I'm not one of those artsy-crafty people. I generally don't like stuff that makes a mess (or has mess making potential.) But this little set of projects had very little mess involved and it took only a relatively small space on my kitchen counter and simple tools to assemble and process all the ingredients.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh my goodness - what a small world. I've known AnneMarie for years - I participated in co-ops with her for soapmaking goodies before BrambleBerry was opened, and I worked on their first website. She *ROCKS!* When you see her, tell her Christine in Houston says "Hi!" and misses her. :)

Wow. Such a small world.

- Christine, BigPinkCookie.com