Monday, December 12, 2005

Another Weekend Off From Knitting


Knitting hand
Originally uploaded by Loretta.

After finishing the Urban Rustic Gloves I was trying to decide what to knit next. I have a Wonderful Wallaby started in purple Cascade Sierra. The body is done up to the armpits and I'm comtemplating doing a cable pattern at the bottoms of the sleeves. I can't seem to decide on a cable pattern, so I've set it aside for now until I find something that strikes my fancy.


I always feel lost when I don't have a work schedule or a school schedule. The school break is only 3 weeks, but some days it feels like forever. This weekend, I spent several hours reading about drawing, getting supplies, and doing pencil drawings. I'm particularly having fun with drawing my hands. I remember a really intricate hand drawing that someone did in a drawing class I was in about 25 years ago. It made enough of an impression on me that it has stuck in my mind to this day. One thing that was really interesting was that she showed both of her hands in the drawing and her hands were sewing with a needle and thread on a cabbage. As I remember, the assignment was a to draw vegetable out of context. I haven't tried drawing my right hand yet. After drawing the left hand mudra, I thought of my left-handed friend, LisaTV, who got taken to task in a yoga workshop for wanting to use her left hand in a traditional mudra.

2 comments:

Sophie_vf said...

Every couple of years, I try to "teach myself to draw". Some years, I come up with actual pictures of objects :)

Recently, I tried getting back into it again, mostly to assist in drawing yoga postures for myself at workshops and things like that. But really, my figures just end up looking like they should be wearing tights and a cape ;)

Your sketches are wonderful!

Loretta_S said...

Lianne brought up Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain, on Flickr. It's a book you might want to look into, Sophie. She has broken essential drawing skills into distinct categories.

I do find that when I draw more I tend to see things differently. I notice light and shadows more and the interplay of shapes. I even watch movies differently. It's like book 4 in the yoga sutras. You still chop wood and carry water, but with a different consciousness.